ADSM-L

Re: Configuring dsm.sys and dsm.opt for multiple clients on one h ost

2000-11-08 01:55:56
Subject: Re: Configuring dsm.sys and dsm.opt for multiple clients on one h ost
From: "France, Don G (Pace)" <don.france-eds AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 22:55:19 -0800
Check pp. 69-75, Chapt. 8 (Setting Common Options) in the "TSM for Unix:
Using The Backup-Archive Clients" book;  dsm.sys belongs in the installation
directory, dsm.opt (or other "xxx.opt") file can reside anywhere, and can be
pointed to via DSM_CONFIG.  You could create multiple stanzas in dsm.sys,
where one stanza uses nodename=node1, other specifies node3, then control
which stanza is used based on whether you're doing the non-shared disks or
the shared disks.

Also, it's nice to use the centrally-defined client option sets, where
feasible (it doesn't solve your need for multiple node names, but...)  When
we had HACMP, we actually used the fail-over server as the "normal" TSM
server for the cluster and connected the library to it;  our challenge
(nominally) was to ensure continued backup server operation after a
fail-over... since the IP "identity" moved from primary to secondary, it was
a bit of a trick to keep outside references coming to the NIC defined for
backups as well as continue production operation, as well as backup the
shared disk resources using the same node name regardless of who currently
owns it.

Hope this helps.

Don France

Technical Architect - Unix Engineering/P.A.C.E.
San Jose, CA
mailto:dfrance AT pacbell DOT net
PACE - http://www.pacepros.com