ADSM-L

Re: retention

2000-11-05 07:20:55
Subject: Re: retention
From: "Barth, Terry (MBS)" <Terry.Barth AT MORTGAGEFAMILY DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 07:25:39 -0500
Hi Serge -

I have version 3.7.2 at my server, soon to upgrade to 4.11 - Anyway, I
thought that when an archive was created, it has to go out to the client,
thus, it would put some burden on the client and network, or am I missing
something?  I want to implement archiving, but this is one of the problems
that I am facing. I know backupsets are generated at the server end, but I
am not pleased as to the way it needs to be done. For instance, it is not
real easy to retrieve them. If I am only doing a filespace that is say 5
gigs, then it uses a whole tape and I cannot use the tape anymore.  These
are just to mention a few.

Therefore, I have been looking at archiving - but I have been looking at 2
things - 1, the size of my database will probably grow at a super fast rate
as we need to keep archives on a monthly basis for 7 years and 2, the
network traffic.  If I am looking at something wrong, someone please tell
me.  Thanks