ADSM-L

Re: Really bad performance for a sql query after upgrading to v 3 .7

2000-11-03 16:25:18
Subject: Re: Really bad performance for a sql query after upgrading to v 3 .7
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:24:15 -0500
>Anyone who depends on data from volumeusage might consider opening a
>problem with IBM/Tivoli.  Really bad performance can be reported and will
>sometimes
>be fixed instead of getting the dread 'working as designed' response.
>I have always used occupancy data to make reports.  In version 1
>it was slow but not too bad.  In version 2 if got much worse.  I opened
>a problem for this and it got fixed, after about 6 months.  The fix was great!
>A full read out of occupancy went from 5 hours to 10 minutes or less.

This gets back to our continuing issue concerning Tivoli's failure to perform
substantive testing of TSM software - never mind code reviews - before the
product is committed to distribution.  Utterly obvious stuff like this should
not be making it out the door.  Customers are in effect performing alpha
testing on the software, as evidenced by the absurd number of APARs that
continue to accumulate.

Back when I was a VM guy, we suffered for years with an absurd defect rate,
through VM/SP, HPO, and VM/XA.  Finally, a new VM product manager came
on board and was aghast at the situation he found himself responsible for.
He resolved to straighten out the situation - and did - dramatically
improving the quality of the product.  Perhaps Tivoli management should
seek him out and solicit his input toward correcting the conditions that
currently plague TSM.  It's been bad far too long, and we're not seeing
signs of any improvement.  No one's happy with this, and Tivoli management
has to face up to this problem and finally take action on it.

  Richard Sims, Boston University OIT