ADSM-L

Re: Really bad performance for a sql query after upgrading to v 3.7

2000-11-02 11:11:44
Subject: Re: Really bad performance for a sql query after upgrading to v 3.7
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:02:24 -0500
Tried it....2 minutes. we're at 3.7.2

tsm: BACKUP>volumeusage where stgpool_name='NT3590BACK' group by node_name order
             by Numvols desc
ANR2000E Unknown command - VOLUMEUSAGE.
ANS8001I Return code 2.

tsm: BACKUP>select node_name, count (distinct volume_name) as Numvols from volum
            eusage where stgpool_name='NT3590BACK' group by node_name order  by
            Numvols desc
ANR2963W This SQL query may produce a very large result table, or may require a
significant amount of time to compute.

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes/No) yes

NODE_NAME                  NUMVOLS
------------------     -----------
select distinct volume_name,node_name,stgpool_name from volumeusage where
select distinct volume_name,node_name,stgpool_name from volumeusage where not
stgpool_name='OFFSITEVOLS'

>>> mark.brown AT MCGILL DOT CA 11/02/00 09:45AM >>>
Hello,

We are currently running TSM Version 3, Release 7, Level 3.6 on OS/390.
We upgraded from version 3.1. On the 3.1 version I used to run a select
command to show me how many tapes each node was using. Here is the
select
command:

select node_name, count (distinct volume_name) as Numvols from
volumeusage where stgpool_name='NT3590BACK' group by node_name order by Numvols
desc

This select used to take about 45 minutes to run on the 3.1 version but
now this
select command simply grinds the server to a halt. I eventually have to
cancel adsm
to recover the server. Is there something about the 3.7 version or my
select command
that would cause this kind of problem. If the command takes 2 hours to
run then that
is fine but I can't have the server slowed down so much that I cannot do
other things.

--
Mark Brown
Mark Brown

Tel      ---> 514-398-2321
Fax      ---> 514-398-6876
E-mail   ---> Mark.Brown AT mcgill DOT ca