ADSM-L

Missed backups on Windows NT

2015-10-04 17:26:31
Subject: Missed backups on Windows NT
From: Thomas Denier [mailto:Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
We have a Windows NT client with C, D, and E drives. The central scheduler
requests an incremental backup every night. The schedule has a null object
list. We recently discovered that the E disk had not been backed up in
several
months. The system administrator and I logged in an attempt to discover the
reason for this. There was nothing in the options file calling for backups
skip the E drive. There were no messages in the log files indicating that
ADSM
had been trying to backup the E drive and suffered errors. The GUI client
listed all three drives and had no apparent difficulty backing up the E
drive.
The administrator did notice one oddity. The E drive no longer had the
default
share normally defined for drives on Windows NT systems. He was sure that
the
drive had once had such a default share, but could set only broad limits on
the time at which the default share was removed (the person who probably
removed the default share no longer works here). The date at which backups
of
the E drive stopped falls within these limits. Does the command line client
need the default share to recognize drives as candidates for backup? The
client OS level is 4.0. The ADSM client level is 3.1.0.6.