ADSM-L

Re: DLT Drive Upgrade

2000-11-01 14:38:11
Subject: Re: DLT Drive Upgrade
From: Palmadesso Jack <Jack.Palmadesso AT SWPC.SIEMENS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:35:03 -0500
This library is also single-ended not differential.  I am not a SCSI expert
so I am wondering why you would not just leave the library in single-ended
mode instead of changing all of its guts to work with differential.  What is
the gain other than the distance you can run your cable?  Breece Hill still
offers both models and I was planning on staying single-ended.  Although I
am always open to changes for the better:)

From what I am getting about the new media is that first I need to define a
new device class and specify "drives" for the format to get the maximum
capacity out of the media.  Also that data written on filling tapes will
remain in the same format which makes sense.  Only data written on new
scratch tapes would benefit from the new drives writing format.  That also
make alot of sense.

Assuming that there is no problem reading the media what confuses me a
little is why I would want to define a new device class. In the current
environment the device class is  "DLT" and the format is set to "drives."
Those are the only 2 that really matter, correct?  As long as I associate
the new drives to that device class I should not have to create any new
device classes.  I could just use the existing class and let the drives do
the translations from one format to the next.  Am I being too simple?

Jack