ADSM-L

Re: RAID Levels for *SM volumes

2000-09-26 11:26:10
Subject: Re: RAID Levels for *SM volumes
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:25:03 -0400
=> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:52:17 +0200, Timo Kilchenmann <timo.kilchenmann AT
EURODIS DOT CH> said:

> Dear all,
> I need advice which RAID Levels (RAID0, RAID5, non-RAID) one should use for
> best performance/availability:

> I am pretty unsure about the diskpool volumes. Will the client sessions
> generate large sequential writes (non-RAID) OR will there be random writes
> in place (RAID0).

I recall, also, a detailed discussion of this issue in the past.

However, I don't recall seeing anyone's experiences updated with the new TSM
versions.  I just got a new bunch of SSA disk for my RS/6000 too, so I'd be
interested in updated opinions, especially on the use of (ADSM-mirrored) raw
Logical Volumes for DB space?

Additionally, I have begun implementing my "disk"-pool under devclass FILE, as
previously threatened. :)

This is appearing to work vey well.  With a sufficiently high Mountlimit on
the devclass, I am getting behavior grossly equivalent to that of disk pools,
but I have the space trivially availiable for reorganization work too.

Allen S. Rout