ADSM-L

Re: BACKUP DB to disk - questions

2000-09-25 08:29:46
Subject: Re: BACKUP DB to disk - questions
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 08:06:30 -0400
>> Use TSM db mirroring, with MIRRORWrite Sequential to stay out of trouble.
>>
>Thanks for the hint, I see the defaults are sequential for the DB and
>parallel for the log.
>Would you recommend changing the log to sequential as well, or leave it as
>is?  Normally I'm inclined to trust defaults unless I know better, but
>certain... experiences... have make me wary.

Lesley - For utmost safety I use Sequential for both the log and db.
         There is a very small performance penalty for choosing
Sequential over Parallel, but I never want to go through a database
recovery again.
    Don't necessarily trust defaults.  Often they are chosen by
vendors to fit minimally configured systems, and won't necessarily
work well in your environment.  Things like the server COMMTimeout
value, for example, are way too small in their default state.
I also strongly advise people to code what they want for values rather
than take defaults - even if what they code is the default value.
Reason: the vendor can change default values without notice, and you can
find yourself with unexpected results after applying a maintenance level
or going to a new release.

>> Server programming errors also result in "interesting" situations,
>>
>Hopefully this won't occur, as we have a policy of testing all changes in
>the lab before applying them to production.

Wow, what a terrific philosophy!  If Tivoli did that, customers would be
able to perform an Import and it would work!

  Richard Sims, BU