ADSM-L

BACKUP DB to disk - questions

2015-10-04 17:27:38
Subject: BACKUP DB to disk - questions
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
TSM 3.7.3 on Solaris 7, new implementation.
command: backup db devclass=seqdisk

Until my organisation gets its act together to give me access to the ACSLS
server (it's a long story), I have no tape storage available.  But I have a
nice large chunk of EMC Symmetrix array to play in.

So I have created a devclass with devtype=file, and I have used that as the
destination for BACKUP DB, and it works just fine, and I'll go ahead and set
up a schedule for it. But I do have some questions.

Does TSM do anything about managing the database backup volumes?  Or do I
need to do that manually? (ie delete old versions before it runs out of
space).  As far as I can tell, the database doesn't see them as volumes,
because they don't show up when I do Q VOL (although Q VOLHIST describes
them as volumes.

When I have to restore the database at a later date, will I actually need
the volumehistory file? I figure I will be able to tell by the timestamps on
the file, and the size, which one to use.

And some more general questions:

How likely is it that we'll need to restore the database anyhow - how often
does a TSM database become corrupted, and under what circumstances?

I'm assuming the media is 99.999% safe because it's in the Symmetrix array,
in a mirrored configuration.  The active database is in the same EMC, on a
different LUN, also mirrored.  So I'm betting that 2 x 2 mirrors are not
going to fail all once.  Barring the natural disaster scenario, is this
adequate, or should I get more paranoid?  I know these things are a
trade-off between likelihood and impact - what I'm after is the size of the
likelihood.  Anyone have any experience they'd be willing to share?

(Apologies for these newbie questions - I admit I'm a newbie at this, and
there will be more.  Feel free to point me at relevant docs - I have looked
but there is SO much of it.)

--
Lesley Walker
Lesley Walker