ADSM-L

Solaris level numbers

2000-09-21 11:36:54
Subject: Solaris level numbers
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:36:04 -0400
I am attempting to sort out the support status of four Solaris client systems.
I found a Web site related to Solaris support that states that Sun has two
different conventions for Solaris 2 level numbers. Documentation and labels on
distribution media use 'Solaris 2.x' for some value of 'x'. The uname command
reports 'Sun OS 5.x'. I don't have accounts on all four Solaris systems, and
hence I can't run the uname command myself in all cases. I have been checking
the data my OS/390 3.1.2.50 server reports for these clients. It appears that
the clever people who developed ADSM chose to split the difference between the
two conventions. The 'Platform' field in the output from 'query node' with
'f=d' is 'SUN SOLARIS' for all four systems. The 'Client OS level' field is
'5.6' for three of the systems and '5.5.1' for the fourth. Can I safely infer
that the first three are really Solaris 2.6 and that the fourth is really
Solaris 2.5.1? The ADSM client level is 3.1.0.6 on all four systems.