ADSM-L

Re: Slow restore for large NT client

2000-09-21 09:59:02
Subject: Re: Slow restore for large NT client
From: Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:58:17 -0400
From: Matthew Glanville

I have found that many times I overlook a very significant item that is
really the cause of the slow restore/backup on NT.

Make sure that there is NO Virus scanning software running!!!!

I have been hit at least 5 times by the NT admin complaining about a slow
backup/restore, and me spending hours trying to figure it out, only to find
that they had the virus scanner scanning all incoming/outgoing data!!!!!
(It just happened to me again!!!)

For those extremely large NT systems with 1 million plus files, seeing the
virus scanning software running 23 hours every day, the TSM backups running
2-3 hours, and then the left over CPU cycles doing what that large system
was designed to do, server files to users or run an application.

However, after turning off the virus scanning software, and seeing 2-4
times improvement in files/hour or GB/hour, I still have to say that
performance is too slow for most of my customers.  But how slow is it?   I
really would appreciate some people posting some statistcs about other
backup software!

Also, worth considering is the amount of time and effort spent by the
backup administrators/local administrators to maintain the system in order
to achieve that type of restore performance.  With ADSM/TSM me and one
other person maintain 6 TSM servers backing up over 600 computers.....  (we
are overworked.... :)

Matthew Glanville