ADSM-L

Residency Announcement: ST-0456 Deploying Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows 2000

2000-09-19 13:17:30
Subject: Residency Announcement: ST-0456 Deploying Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows 2000
From: Charlotte Brooks/Almaden/IBM <lotti AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:17:04 -0700
 Windows 2000 deployment is growing - here's a great opportunity to explore
and document recovery procedures... This project is open to nominations
from IBM/Tivoli, customers and Business Partners.

ST-0456 Deploying Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows 2000

Benefits to Resident:  Microsoft Windows 2000 both evolves from Windows NT
and introduces important new functions. Tivoli Storage Management products
are being enhanced and created to provide complementary backup solutions.
This residency will explore these techniques and will enable residents to
apply them with confidence in setting up and maintaining cast-iron,
industrial strength backup solutions for business-critical data.  The
emphasis of this residency will be on the V4.1.2 client changes for Windows
2000. As enterprises move to this platform, the experience gained will be
of crucial value to those architecting, designing, and implementing backup
solutions for this important area.

This San Jose residency begins 23 Oct 2000, ends 01 Dec 2000 (6 weeks), and
requires 3 residents.  Please submit nominations by 09 Oct 2000.

Technical review of Windows 2000 system objects and Microsoft Dfs for
storage administrators, to include the Active Directory, Certificate
Server, Cluster DB,COM+ DB, Event log, File Replication Services, Registry,
RSM database, System and Boot Files, and SYSVOL.
Permissions needed to backup/restore Windows 2000 system objects.
The creation of a backup plan for Windows 2000, including scheduling
considerations (new SYSTEMOBJECT object and domain).
Suggested INCLUDE/EXCLUDE lists.
Restore scenarios for individual system object components:  Active
Directory + SYSVOL + Registry, Certificate Server + Registry + (optionally)
Active Directory and Sysvol.
Restore scenarios for Windows 2000 servers:  Windows Professional,
Windows Server/Advanced Server with/without Active Directory, Windows
Advanced Server with clustering, Windows Data Center Server.
Restoring Active Directory with ntdsutil.exe:  Authoritative restore of
Active Directory, Single Object Restore via Authoritative Restore.

Objectives:  Create a new IBM Redbook covering the deployment of Tivoli
Storage Manager V4.1.2 Backup/Archive Client in a Windows 2000 environment.

This residency is suitable for Customers, Business Partners, and IBMers.

A basic requirement for all residents is the ability to read and clearly
express concepts and procedures in common English.

Resident Prerequisites:  A good knowledge of Windows NT and Windows 2000
and a willingness to work in a team environment.  Experience with Tivoli
Storage Manager will be an advantage.

Skill levels below are from 5 to 1, where 5 = expert skill and 1 = no
skill.

You personally do not have to have all of these skills to be considered a
good candidate for this residency.  The project leader will match your
skills with that of the other nominations to put together the best team
possible.

Skills Needed:

|----------------------------------+-----|
|Skill Area                        |Skill|
|                                  |Level|
|----------------------------------+-----|
|English                           |  3  |
|----------------------------------+-----|
|Windows NT                        |  4  |
|----------------------------------+-----|
|Windows 2000                      |  4  |
|----------------------------------+-----|
|Tivoli Storage Management         |  4  |
|implementation                    |     |
|----------------------------------+-----|
|MSCS / Win2000 clustering         |  4  |
|----------------------------------+-----|

Documentation Skills Needed:

|----------------------------------+-----|
|Documentation Skill Area          |Skill|
|                                  |Level|
|----------------------------------+-----|
|Freelance Graphics or similar     |  4  |
|(specify)                         |     |
|----------------------------------+-----|

These documentation skills are desirable, but not critical, for acceptance
into this residency.  The only definite requirement is a readiness to learn
and to handle your own data entry needs.

Nominees should have the approval of their managers before submitting a
nomination.  ITSO sends e-mail acknowledgements of all nominations.

Nominations should be complete and detailed.  The more information you
provide about your experience and qualifications, the better your chances
of being selected.

If you have access to IBM Intranet, please click on this link
http://w3.itso.ibm.com/internsh.nsf/GetResidency?OpenAgent&ID=ST-0456 to go
directly to this announcement and its online nomination form.
You can also go to the ITSO Intranet site at http://w3.itso.ibm.com and
click on the residencies link to see all current residency announcements
and submit nominations online.

If you do not have IBM Intranet access, please complete the form below and
send it to ITSO Administration. Since e-mail nominations are processed
automatically, it helps if you keep the field labels unchanged.

          Notes ID: ITSO Admin/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS
          Internet: itsoadmi AT us.ibm DOT com

Residency ST-0456-R: Deploying Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows 2000

 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 First name*:           |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Last name*:            |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Position or job title*:|
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 E-mail or Notes ID*:   |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Telephone number:      |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Fax number:            |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Company name*:         |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Business address:      |

 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Country*:              |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Nominee's manager*:    |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Manager's e-mail or    |
 Notes ID*:             |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Please identify        |
 yourself as belonging  |
 to one of the following|
 groups                 |
 Customer, Business     |
 Partner, Solution      |
 Developer, IBMer,      |
 Educational Institution|
 or Other*:             |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 IBM contact for        |
 non-IBMers (if any):   |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
    and IBM contact's   |
 e-mail:                |
 -----------------------+--------------------------------
 Fields above marked
 with * are required.

Skill levels below are from 5 to 1, where 5 = expert skill and 1 = no
skill.

Skills:

|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|                                  |         |Skill |
|                                  |         |Level |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|                                  |Requested|Actual|
|Skill Area                        |         |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|English                           |    3    |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|Windows NT                        |    4    |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|Windows 2000                      |    4    |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|Tivoli Storage Management         |    4    |      |
|implementation                    |         |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|MSCS / Win2000 clustering         |    4    |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|

Documentation Skills:

|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|                                  |         |Skill |
|                                  |         |Level |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|                                  |Requested|Actual|
|Skill Area                        |         |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|
|Freelance Graphics or similar     |    4    |      |
|(specify)                         |         |      |
|----------------------------------+---------+------|

The above documentation skills are desirable, but not critical, for
acceptance into this residency.  The only definite requirement is a
readiness to learn and to handle your own data entry needs.

|-------------------------------------------------------------|
|Previous experience:                                         |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
|Previous residency experience:                               |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
|Other pertinent information:                                 |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|

Provide as much detail in the above fields as possible.

For especially well qualified nominees, the dates and duration of this
residency are negotiable.

|-------------------------+------------------|
|Residency Start:         |   23 Oct 2000    |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Residency End:           |   01 Dec 2000    |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Duration:                |     6 weeks      |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Number of Residents:     |   3 residents    |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Nominations Close:       |   09 Oct 2000    |
|-------------------------+------------------|
|Candidate Selection:     |   10 Oct 2000    |
|-------------------------+------------------|

Location:  San Jose CA

Leader: Pat Randall, San Jose ITSO Center
    Notes ID: Pat Randall/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
    Internet: randallp AT us.ibm DOT com

Manager: Charlie Ludeman, San Jose ITSO Center
    Notes ID: Charlie Ludeman/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
    Internet: ludeman AT us.ibm DOT com

ITSO will pay approved business travel and living expenses for residency
participants based on IBM guidelines and Travel policy.  Complete
reimbursement guidelines will be provided in the ITSO Residency Acceptance
Letter.   For more detailed information about ITSO and about ITSO
residencies, see http://www.redbooks.ibm.com.

Customers and Business Partners can see IBM Redbooks and Redpieces online
at http://ibm.com/redbooks.  Also available are special features, free
services, useful links, open residencies, and online nomination forms.
Visit this amazing site and then tell a friend.

Employees of IBM, Lotus, or Tivoli will prefer using the IBM Intranet site
at http://w3.itso.ibm.com.

For e-mail notifications about new IBM Redbooks, register and subscribe at
http://ibm.com/redbooks.

Important:  Even if you cannot be a resident now, perhaps you could provide
or point us to appropriate, already-existing materials as potential input
to our development efforts.  We would appreciate your help in identifying
any useful material that can be expanded, referenced, or included as is.
If the material significantly contributes to the produced redbook, we will
acknowledge your assistance and may even name the creator as a contributing
author.  We believe that your help will leverage the value of the
already-existing materials and will result in better redbooks produced in
shorter cycle times.

The ITSO Residency program has been honed over many years to provide the
maximum benefit to residents and their businesses.  IBM organizations,
Business Partners, and customers that have provided residents report that
the returning employee has gained significant new skills to enable them to
support IBM's latest products.  These skills can be employed either
directly for services generation or indirectly in technical support of the
sales effort.  Furthermore, the contacts made by the resident within the
development community and with the other residents are invaluable in
keeping these skills up-to-date.

- -
You received this because you are registered with IBM Redbooks and
subscribed for our e-mail service.  To unsubscribe, reply to this note with
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.  Alternatively, visit IBM Redbooks on the
Internet at http://ibm.com/redbooks and update your registration and e-mail
subscription online.   For assistance, write to itsoadmi AT us.ibm DOT com.
Employees of IBM, Lotus, and Tivoli will prefer using the IBM Intranet at
http://w3.itso.ibm.com.

        Regards, Charlotte
        Email: lotti AT us.ibm DOT com
        Ph (408) 927-3641 Fax (408) 927-3616 T/L 8-457-3641
        Project Leader, Storage Management, ITSO Almaden
        http://ibm.com/redbooks