ADSM-L

Re: Would you buy TSM again.

2000-09-19 11:35:10
Subject: Re: Would you buy TSM again.
From: Martin Blignaut <martin AT MAXTEC.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:28:32 +0200
9-10

Same position as Kelly J Lipp

NOTE YOU MUST IMPLEMENT THE PRODUCT CORRECTLY AND SPEND THE TIME AND EFFORT
TO BE TRAINED ON AND  UNDERSTAND THE PRODUCT.

I find that those who would give TSM a low rating (including people who
know and work with other products and TSM) are those who do not know or
understand the product properly, or have not set the product up / purchased
the necessary sized library for their environment.   Make sure that the
person who specks your site in terms of server platform, size of disk
caching pools, Tape library, throughput you will get over your network etc
...... is competent and understands the product well.

Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Martin Blignaut

Software Product Manager
Maxtec

Tel +27 11 803 6635
Cell +27 (0) 82 895 5229
Fax +27 11 803 7818

E-mail - mailto:martin AT maxtec.co DOT za

To visit our website - www.maxtec-group.com

                    "Sattler,
                    Lynn"                To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <Lynn.Sattler        cc:
                    @DANA.COM>           Subject:     Would you buy TSM again.
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    2000-09-19
                    16:10
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

We are reconsidering our backup software.

We are a pretty large unix shop (5 Terrabytes to backup nightly) and are
using some HP Omniback and a lot of Veritas Netbackup.  Mostly HP-UX.

We have a large Lotus Notes Rel 5 implementation on AIX (600 gig on its way
to 1.2 Terrabytes).

We are studying robot technology and SAN's.

Tivoli is selling and Netbackup is trying to stay in the shop.

How good do you rate TSM on a scale of 1 to 10.  (10 being best).

Would you definately buy it again, or would you shop around.

My gut feeling is that everybody has some complaints with their backup
solution.

Lynn Sattler
Dana Corp
Toledo Oh