ADSM-L

Migration to new tape devices

2000-09-15 10:42:11
Subject: Migration to new tape devices
From: Tom Melton <Tom_Melton AT EMORY DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:41:48 -0500
I am soon to be migrating from 3490 tape technology to 3590E tape
technology.  Will the following work?

Say I have the following storage pools:

DISK1      (Disk storage pool - next storage pool = TAPE1)
TAPE1     (3490 sequential access pool)
TAPE2     (3590 sequential access pool)
OFF1        (3490 copy pool for DISK1 and TAPE1)
OFF2        (3590 copy pool)

If I were to set the "Next Storage Pool" field on TAPE1 pool to be
TAPE2 and set the TAPE1 pool access to READONLY, will the TAPE1 pool
basically be skipped and the TAPE2 pool be used as secondary storage for
pool DISK1?

Also, if I set the "Reclamation Threshold" on pool TAPE1 to a very low
percentage, or even like 1%, will the tapes recycle to pool TAPE2?

Lastly, if I were to set the "Next Storage Pool" field on OFF1 pool to
be OFF2 and set the OFF1 pool access to READONLY, and then if I set the
"Reclamation Threshold" on pool OFF1 to a very low percentage, or even
like 1%, will the tapes recycle to pool OFF2?

Seems like this should work, and not require manual MOVE DATA commands.
 Especially since the MOVE DATA commands are not for COPY pools.

Is the above workable?

Thanks in advance....

Tom Melton
Emory HealthCare