ADSM-L

Re: Exchange tuning

2000-09-14 10:44:16
Subject: Re: Exchange tuning
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:36:36 -0400
Walt,

I won't get into details on performance tuning on this list
but I will tell you what some of our customers have seen.
We all know that performance tuning really is rocket science...
...and requires expert analysis.  :-)

We have customers consistently achieving rates greater than
30G per hour when backing up with TDP for Microsoft Exchange.

I do have some comments on your questions.

First TXNGROUPMAX will not make any difference.
TDP for Exchange sends up a maximum of 4 objects for any backup.
All objects for a backup are contained within one transaction.

Second, changing TXNBYTELIMIT won't help either since API applications
(like any of the TDP applications) are not bound to this limit by design.

As far as some of the client options to set...We, by default recommend:

   TCPBuffsize        31
   TCPWindowsize      63

But these may not always be optimal for your environment.

As far as the "/buffers" option.  Our original testing showed that
"/buffers:3,1024" seemed to produce the best results...but again,
these may not always be optimal for your environment.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler