ADSM-L

Re: Diskpool parallization

2000-09-12 07:49:21
Subject: Re: Diskpool parallization
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:48:39 -0400
>Here comes the question: Will TSM fill one volume first and than use the
>next volume OR (which would be better) will it use both volumes in parallel?

Being a sophisticate, TSM spreads its activity out over the multiple volumes
in a storage pool.  You can verify this with an operating system disk
activity monitor, and certainly with the Query Volume server command.

The more volumes, the better, as TSM will devote one thread to each volume;
and, of course, you have more disk arms at work and more potential for
separate I/O paths.  Some of us purposely use smaller disks for the TSM
database to facilitate throughput.

  Richard Sims, BU