ADSM-L

multiple tape drives

2015-10-04 17:27:37
Subject: multiple tape drives
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
In the case of a ibm3494 with 4 tape drives, what happens in the case of =
restore as far as the way TSM utilizes those drives? Will it take advanta=
ge
of the fact that there are 4 tape drives and mount 4 tapes to restore
quicker (assuming data is on 4 different tapes)?

For example what if I have an Oracle database with =BD a Terabyte of data
backed up to my TSM server. Obviously this data is going to be across
multiple tapes. Now when it comes time to do a restore, how many drives w=
ill
it use to do the restore or what factors determine this?

Thanks

Gerald Wichmann
RS Engineer
Sansia System Solutions