ADSM-L

Re: stk 9840

2000-09-10 22:50:52
Subject: Re: stk 9840
From: "Walker, Lesley R" <lesley.walker AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:50:09 +1200
Bill Colwell [SMTP:bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM] wrote:
> We got 9840's very early and 3590 emulation wasn't available.
> At the time we were running adsm 3.1 & tsm 3.7 didn't exist, so
> there was no performance difference.  You should choose 3590
> emulation if there are no strong reasons for doing 3490 emulation.
>
> If your site is os/390 and has dfsms-hsm, you definitely want
> 3590 for block count reasons.

Sorry, I guess I didn't frame my question clearly enough.  I'm planning on
using them in their standard STK9840 mode, and was wondering what was the
point of emulating other tape types.  My servers will all be running on
Solaris and your mention of OS/390 is probably enough of a clue for me.

That'll teach me for having OS-tunnel-vision.