ADSM-L

Advisory on server db processes

2000-09-08 13:56:18
Subject: Advisory on server db processes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:55:48 -0400
One bit of wisdom and advice that should be shared with the newer
people on the list is:
 Avoid running more than one heavy *SM database update process at one time.

The product has historically had an Achilles heel wherein running
multiple concurrent server processes with heavy database updating
will cause serious problems: deadlocks, server failure, and even
database damage.  Commands such as Delete Filespace and Delete Volume
are particular instances of intense database update operations that can
cause such problems.  (The unfortunate fellow who wrote in this
morning of losing his server ran into this with multiple Delete Volume
commands running concurrently.)  Run one of these at a time, and wait
for it to finish before starting another.

We could hope that future versions of the product would no longer be
vulnerable to this condition; but it persists well into Version 3, so
it may be intractable.  (I expect that it will persist as long as the product
utilizes its private, proprietary database.)

I just don't want to see any other customers inadvertently fall victim to
this, so please be advised.

    Richard Sims, BU