ADSM-L

Re: How to know which data is lost in a damaged tape cartridge

2000-09-05 14:31:48
Subject: Re: How to know which data is lost in a damaged tape cartridge
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 14:23:42 -0400
>   Recently one  3590 tape become damaged. It's seem there is a fisical
>error by which doesn't allow ADSM to read the tape label.

Could you be specific as to what the error indications are?  Can the
tape successfully load in the drive?  Is there an operating system error
indicating an I/O error?  Is there not an I/O error, but the case that
ADSM cannot find a label?  Have you used the Solaris 'dd' command or
the like to verify if there is a label?  Have you tried reading the
tape on another drive, just to make sure?  What about restoring the
volume from your Copy Storage Pool?

What you need to absolutely determine is whether the tape is in fact
damaged before assuming that the volume's data is lost.  There are
some things that can be fixed, like a bad leader block.

    Richard Sims, BU