ADSM-L

Re: STK tape drives

2000-08-30 11:53:29
Subject: Re: STK tape drives
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:53:27 -0400
We are using STK 9840 tape drives, also in "native" STK mode.
I don't use the OST drivers, I use ADSM's built-in ECART drivers (at some
point in V3, I don't remember where, ADSM started providing direct support
for 9840's).

I ran the 9840's starting at ADSM V3.1.2.42; we are now TSM 3.7.2, AIX
4.3.2, ACSLS 5.3.2 (although using ACSLS doesn't change which device drivers
you use, it only affects how commands to the robot are handled.)

If you run cfgmgr before you create the ADSM devices, AIX will see the
drives and create rmtx names for them with the OST drivers.  You can leave
those alone, or delete them.

Then start SMIT, devices, ADSM Devices, add a tape drive.  Point to the
address of your 9840 drive, and let smit add an ADSM scsi tape drive.  It
will create a device special file named mtx (instead of Rmtx).  Now you may
have both an rmtx and an mtx definition for the same device, but that's OK
(just don't try to have AIX use the drives while ADSM is using them.)

Here is the lsdev:

rmt1 Available 10-78-00-2,0 Other SCSI Tape Drive
rmt2 Available 10-78-00-3,0 Other SCSI Tape Drive
rmt3 Available 20-60-00-0,0 Other SCSI Tape Drive
rmt4 Available 20-60-00-1,0 Other SCSI Tape Drive
mt0  Available 20-60-00-0,0 Tivoli Storage Manager Tape Drive
mt1  Available 20-60-00-1,0 Tivoli Storage Manager Tape Drive
mt2  Available 10-78-00-2,0 Tivoli Storage Manager Tape Drive
mt3  Available 10-78-00-3,0 Tivoli Storage Manager Tape Drive

I have 4 9840's; as you can see from the device addresses, each has TWO
definitions, one using the AIX OST driver, the other using the ADSM (TSM)
driver.

Here are the definitions from my devconfig file:

/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS STK9840 DEVTYPE=ECART FORMAT=9840C MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=0 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=STKLIB
DEFINE LIBRARY STKLIB LIBTYPE=ACSLS ACSID=0
DEFINE DRIVE STKLIB STK1MT0 DEVICE=/dev/mt0 ACSDRVID=0,0,2,0 ONLINE=Yes
DEFINE DRIVE STKLIB STK2MT1 DEVICE=/dev/mt1 ACSDRVID=0,0,2,1 ONLINE=Yes
DEFINE DRIVE STKLIB STK3MT2 DEVICE=/dev/mt2 ACSDRVID=0,0,2,2 ONLINE=Yes
DEFINE DRIVE STKLIB STK4MT3 DEVICE=/dev/mt3 ACSDRVID=0,0,2,3 ONLINE=Yes

The ACSDRVID parm is required for us because we are driving the library with
ACSLS software, and doesn't apply to you.  But the DEVCLASS definition is
where you specify ECART and FORMAT=9840 or 9840C, that should work for you.

Hope that helps...
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert