ADSM-L

Triggered DBB does not fully relieve the log

2015-10-04 17:28:41
Subject: Triggered DBB does not fully relieve the log
From: Brazner, Bob [mailto:Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We do a full db backup (BAckup DB) each day.  On some days however, we'll
hit the DBB trigger threshold (65% with zero incrementals).  Recently, on
one such day, after the triggered DB backup finished, we received the
following message: "ANR4556W Warning: the database backup operation did not
free sufficient recovery log space to lower utilization below the database
backup trigger. The recovery log size may need to be increased."  The
triggered DB backup otherwise finished successfully.  Further, it took
aprox 2.3 hours to do the triggered db backup whereas it normally takes 40
minutes to do a full backup.   Expiration did not run during this time.
Normal client backup activity took place during this time.  Server is AIX
4.3.2 with ADSM 3.1.2.20.  What would account for this behavior?

Bob Brazner
(414) 524-2570