ADSM-L

Re: HIGH CPU usage

2000-08-29 13:09:12
Subject: Re: HIGH CPU usage
From: John Monahan <JohnMonahan AT LIBERTYDIVERSIFIED DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:08:36 -0500
In my testing of the NAV-TSM CPU problem, it seems that updating to the
latest Symevnt files has solved my problem (at least on my test box).  Has
anyone else with the same problem tried it also?

The other recommended fix about registry permissions looked way off.  I
checked my registry keys and "system" already had full control to all of
them, so I don't know if changing the services to an admin account would
make any difference.

    John Monahan
    Network Administrator
    Liberty Diversified Industries
    (763) 536-6677

                    rbs AT bu DOT edu
                                         To:     JohnMonahan AT
libertydiversified DOT com, andrew-m.webster AT DB DOT COM,
                    08/18/00             epabala AT CITY.NORFOLK.VA DOT US
                    09:35 AM             cc:     rbs AT acs.bu DOT edu

I'm writing to you guys directly regarding your finding about
Norton AntiVirus chowing CPU time...

I thought I'd post a question to Norton themselves to see what they
have to say.  I got the attached response for more info.  I understand
you guys are running NAV 5.01.01 (correct?); but could you supply the
further info they are looking for?  (It's like they haven't heard of
the problem before - but we have an open opportunity to get to the
heart of the problem, so worth a try.)

Please send the info to me: I'll post it to Norton and feed back to
you if anything substantive comes out of it.

  thanks,  Richard Sims, BU

-------------- What Norton seeks -------------------------
I would like to get a little more information from you so that I can
I would like to get a little more information from you so that I can
accurately advise on how to
precede. Please post another message to this thread with the following
details:
What version of NAV  is indicated when you select Help > About Norton
AntiVirus and click the Norton AntiVirus tab ? What is your Operating
System? How much physical
memory? How much swap file? What type of computer?

Meantime you might want to update the Symevnt files.

Title: 'How to update the Symevnt files'
Document ID: 1998092408260806

Web URL:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1998092408260806&src=w

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

--
Nikki Nami
Nikki Nami