ADSM-L

Re: FW: NDMP Support.

2000-08-25 11:22:33
Subject: Re: FW: NDMP Support.
From: Alexander Z Sokolek Jr <asokolek AT KEYSPANENERGY DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:22:05 -0400
Phil Lenor wrote:
> {snip}
> We also have a problem backing up hardlinks ( IBM acknowledges this
> problem but will not commit to fixing it. ) in that each occurrence
> of the hardlinked file is backed up. This means that backing up an
> 18GB disk often results in double if not triple the volume contents
> being backed up.
> {snip}

Just a "gut reaction", not really knowledgeable in ADSM, but I'm pretty
good in UNIX...

Think about what it would take to find the intersection of the hard
links on your system.  (This is the only way I can think that would
identify the distinct files involved.)  You would have to do the
equivalent of a cartesian product in SQL, not a very easy or pretty
thing to do if you have a lot of hard links.  That is why, IMHO, that
IBM chose to simply archive both "copies" of the file.  Here is the
discussion from their manual...

===============================
Understanding How Hard Links Are Handled:  A hard link is established
when two files point to the same data file.  When you back up a file
that contains a hard link to another file, ADSM stores both the link
information and the data file on the ADSM server.  If you back up two
files that contain a hard link to each other, ADSM stores the same data
file under both names, along with the link information.

When you restore a file that contains hard link information, ADSM
attempts to reestablish the links.  If only one of the hard-linked files
is still on your workstation, and you restore both files, ADSM
hard-links them together.

The one exception to this procedure occurs if you back up two files that
are hard-linked together, and then break the connection between them on
your workstation.  The two files then contain separate data files.  If
you restore the two files from the ADSM server, ADSM will respect the
current file system and not restore the hard link.

Problems can occur if you back up only one file of a hard-linked pair.
For example, files texta and textb contain a hard link to each other.
You back up texta, then edit textb and make some changes.  If you
restore texta, the changes you made to textb will be lost.

To ensure that hard-linked files remain synchronized, always back up all
files that have hard links to each other at the same time, and restore
those same files together.

Good luck.  Any one else with more knowledge on this is welcome to jump
in; I will not be insulted.

Alex Sokolek