ADSM-L

Re: TSM & remote procedure calls

2000-08-22 08:45:00
Subject: Re: TSM & remote procedure calls
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:44:56 -0400
>And isn't this a form of RPC?

Jerry - Remote Procedure Calls are convenience functions built on top of
        network primitives so as to facilitate programming.  Whether based
upon ONC (Sun Open Network Computing Group), DCE, or the like, they consist
of a set of client-server constructs and cross-platform data translation
routines, coupled with some facility for registering services.
    RPC is just one type of client-server arrangement.  A client-server
arrangement can certainly exist without using anything like RPC, by having
clients connect to servers on agreed-upon port numbers on systems known
to provide such services.  Basic socket programming can be used to achieve
this, and from what we know of ADSM/TSM, this is how it operates.
    As to the firewall issue: You are right to be frustrated that this has
not been prominently documented in the manuals.  For what it's worth, I've
had this in my ADSM funcdir under "Port numbers, for ADSM client/server",
which summarizes port behavior.  For anyone frustrated by things in (or
missing from) the manuals, by all means communicate with the Publications
folks, as listed in the front of each manual.  They are responsive to
issues and will take action when documentation needs improvement.

   Richard Sims, BU