ADSM-L

Base TSM client and SQL Backups Question - Resolution

2000-08-18 08:51:45
Subject: Base TSM client and SQL Backups Question - Resolution
From: Gary Ison <Gary.Ison AT MAIL.STATE.KY DOT US>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:47:59 -0400
Hi Folks,

        I posted the following question earlier and received several very
good suggestions in response; my thanks to those who responded.  The
solution turned out to be the name of the file being executed by the
pre/post exit - it wasn't executable by the command processor (command.exe).
Any file being executed on the client must specify an extension such as
".bat", ".com", ".exe" (for programs), etc. that is capable of being
processed by the client command processor.  The alternative is to do an
association to allow the command processor to execute the file.  This isn't
a problem on Unix - it's specific to NT platforms (or similar types of OS).
This also applies to the "objects" parameter value of a command schedule.
===============
Is anyone using the pre/post exits of the base client to stop/start the
MSSQL server with the "net stop/start mssqlserver" commands?  I have a
client who  is trying this and the schedule log stops recording when the pre
command file is triggered.  The client has also failed to back up since this
method was implemented.
If you are not using the net commands, how are you using the pre/post (or
other methods) commands to stop the SQL server so the databases can be
backed up?  Any help or examples would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>