ADSM-L

Discrepancy between standard restore and restore backupset

2015-10-04 17:28:41
Subject: Discrepancy between standard restore and restore backupset
From: John Naylor [mailto:John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Am I missing something obvious?
I am doing some comparison testing of  backupset restores against standard
restores.
I understood that in both cases restore would only be of active files and
yet I
see with a standard
restore
ANE4955I (Session: 5106, Node: PORSD1)  Total number of objects
 restored:  2,238,710
ANE4955I (Session: 6894, Node: PORSD1)  Total
  objects restored:  1,381,024

There was a period of time between the two restores so I would not expect
them
to be identical, but
nothing like this discrepancy
My questions are :-

1) Anyone know why the large difference in the number of objects restored ?
2) If the lower number of objects is all the active files, then how do I
force
the traditional restore to
restore just the active files?

The server being restored was a netware box and it was being restored to
another
 netware box
in both cases to an empty volume.
The commands used were

LOAD   DSMC   REST   -SU=Y   -REPL=N   -TAPEP=N    PORSD1\DATA:/
CONT_5500\DATA:/

load dsmc rest backupset -repl=n -su=y tstbck1.181377263  porsd1\data:
cont_5500\data:\

Thanks

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric and Southern Electric are trading names of
Scottish and Southern Energy Group