ADSM-L

Re: Base TMS client and SQL backup question

2000-08-15 09:26:51
Subject: Re: Base TMS client and SQL backup question
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 06:26:05 -0700
>         If you are not using the net commands, how are you using the
> pre/post (or other methods) commands to stop the SQL server
> so the databases can be backed up?

Gary,

I'm using the agent to back up our databases, but we don't issue any
pre/post commands to stop and start SQL. I thought the whole idea of this
agent was to backup the database while it was online. I also thought it
would do any such thing on it's own if need be. Now that you've raised the
question I wonder if I'm missing something.

I can say that I've sucessfully restored databases direct to their original
location without any problems too. As early as yesterday I had a DBA on the
phone. Just after I restored one database he told me it was fine. Since I
haven't had any problems I'm only guessing I've been doing things right.

Geoff