ADSM-L

Re: Volume delete problem...

2000-08-14 18:07:37
Subject: Re: Volume delete problem...
From: Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:06:48 -0400
From: Matthew Glanville

I have ran into this problem for both a Copy sequential volume and a
primary random access volume on two different servers!

I placed a call, waiting to hear back from level 2.

Situation: Unable to delete some volumes!

     TSM 3.7.2.1 and 3.7.3.0 on Sun Solaris 2.6 (two of my servers seem to
be affected so far)

Example:  (volume name and server name changed to protect the innocent)

tsm: TSMSERVER> del vol VOL1
ANR2220W This command will delete volume VOL1 from its storage pool after
verifying that the volume containes no data.

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes/No) yes
ANS8001I Return code 13.

tsm: TSMSERVER> q content VOL1
ANR2034E QUERY CONTENT: No match found using this criteria.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

tsm: TSMSERVER> del vol VOL1 discard=yes
ANR2221W This command will result in the deletion of all inventory
references to the data on volume VOL1, thereby rendering the data
unrecoverable.

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes/No) yes
ANS8001I Return code 13.

tsm: TSMSERVER> audit vol VOL1
ANR2310W This command will compare all inventory references to volume VOL1
with the actual data stored on the volume and will report any
discrepancies; the data will be inaccessible to users untile the operation
completes.

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes/No) yes
ANR2209W Volume VOL1 contains no data.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

No strange errors are appearing in the activity log.

I am seeing this on the last tape in an old copy pool, SOMTHING WEIRD: the
tape has a pct utilized of .7, yet there is no data on it...  All other
tapes in that old copy pool were deleted successfully  (we have a different
tape media that we made the new copy to, thats another story...)

I am also seeing this on a different server in 7 volumes in a 15 volume
DISK pool.  I migrated all the data off the disk pool (set hi/lo to 0).
Yet the migration never stopped, the CPU utilization went through the roof
for 1 day.  I tried cancelling it, and it would not.  I then updated the
hi/lo thresholds to the normal 90/70 values and the migration process
stopped.(thankfully)

I Changed the hi/lo back to zero, and the same thing happens, migration
process starts, never finishes, the dsmserv process is using 100% of the
CPU yet no data is being moved.  Database buffer were requests flying by
like mad too... (count is currently at -1,547,995,752 to be exact :)

None of the disks in the pool report ANY data on them.
'q content' on all of them and none are reporting anything back.

HERE'S ANOTHER WEIRD CLUE: when I do a 'q stg f=d' on the disk pool, I see
that Pct Logical is at .8!
I think with empty disk pools the PCT_LOGICAL should be 100%...

I tried 'audit vol' on each one, and I get the same 'volume X contains no
data'....

Any ideas?

Matthew Glanville

(I am sorry if this message looks messy, I had to use Lotus Notes... :(