ADSM-L

Re: SCSI adapter failure on SANs

2000-08-14 10:18:30
Subject: Re: SCSI adapter failure on SANs
From: "David M. Hendrix" <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:18:30 -0500
Andrew,

We've been getting what looks like corrupted IO requests in our Sun
environment as well.  Here are the components:

TSM 3.7.3.7
JNI FC64-1063 HBA
Connectrix (ED-5000) Switch
SAN DG 2108 G07
3590E (xl cart support)

Driver levels:
4.0.3.5 (IBMtape)
4.1.5.0 (lmcpd)
13.3.5 (HBA firmware)
2.4.1.EMC (JNI)
3.40.16 (SAN DG)

The OP errors we get include: READ, WRITE, LOCATE, SETPARM-6, LOADDISPLAY.
We have never had an 8302 listed as "adapter failure" however.

We're trying to determine where the problem is, right at the moment.  I
have no answers at this time.  I do have frustration.  Look at the xref at
tivoli.com:

http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/san/solution_device.html

It looks like the E7000 to 2400 is fine.  But they have only validated the AIT
on NT.  Reading closer you should also call and
determine if they stuck with FC-AL rather than fabric (since you have a 2400).
None of our deployment will be with FC-AL
and it's wearing on my patience for IBM to begin supported fabric environments.
 If they expect your connect to be
E7000->2400->crossroads but have the crossroads in loop mode and setting the
port of the Brocade as loop, you should
do that.  So far in our fabric environment, not much has worked consistently
but we cannot change to loop mode.  Besides
being a limited topology, the ED-5000 does not support it.

Hope that helps.

David Hendrix

Andrew Webster <andrew-m.webster AT DB DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 08/13/2000
12:11:41 AM