ADSM-L

Re: H80 - TSM - 3494 ---> Bottleneck?

2000-08-10 12:10:49
Subject: Re: H80 - TSM - 3494 ---> Bottleneck?
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:10:49 -0700
Ronnie,

Not sure I'm reading your message correctly, but my understanding
was that the 3494 can connect to a host either via Ethernet or
Serial cable, not via SCSI. The 3590 drives are attached to the
host via either SCSI, or in your case fiber.

Nevertheless, if your question is will the ethernet connection
from the host to the 3494 be a bottleneck, the answer is no. The
only  traffic that passes across that connection is robotic
instructions (e.g. mount tape A in drive 1, dismount tape B from
drive 2, etc.). The actual data transfer between host and tape
drive goes over the Fiber connection between the host and drive.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks SKG
tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com