ADSM-L

Re: Export Node - Usage to fake Archiving

2000-08-02 10:00:11
Subject: Re: Export Node - Usage to fake Archiving
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:00:11 -0500
Well, remember that "DRM" is for Disaster Recovery of your "environment".
If an SST crashes into your site, DRM is designed to allow you to build up a
TSM environment with pretty recent copies of your client's data and then
allow the clients to be rebuilt from your rebuilt TSM server.

I classify that as being pretty different than someone just asking to keep
specific data for a really long time.

One example of where an "export" of the node has been used in our
environment is... a bunch of seismic studies of land had been performed in
preparation for drilling oil wells, it was then decided not to develop a
large portion of these areas, this land is in a holding state with the
possibility of being sold later, all the seismic studies (already done)
could make the land more profitable... so rather than just throw the data
away, it was isolated on a client, that client was backed up, that client
was exported (to two different sets of tapes) and the physical client box
was turned off and thrown away... (I hope those tapes hang in there...)

So for the purpose of long term storage of data... if you're totally out in
the blue, you're not alone... I'm out there too.

Dwight