ADSM-L

Server to Server reclamaiton vs move data

2000-08-01 10:28:36
Subject: Server to Server reclamaiton vs move data
From: Palmadesso Jack <Jack.Palmadesso AT SWPC.SIEMENS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:28:36 -0400
Boy sure is quiet in here lately.  Maybe this can stir things up a bit ;)

Correct me if I am wrong:

I have 2 servers at remote sites that perform server to server db backups
and copy storage pools over our WAN.  Reclamation usually takes a really
long time to complete.  Especailly as I approach lower reclamation values.
If I set reclamation for the server to server pool at 80 then I have to send
at most 20% of each tape down over the WAN.  DLT 4000s have 20/40
compression so I could send up to 5/10 gigs of data down the pipe for just
for one volume!!  That could take all day over the WAN!

I am considering using "move data" instead.  Again correct me if I am wrong
please.

When I issue a move data on a server to server volume that volume should be
mounted in the remote library as well as another filling volume from that
storage pool or just use a new scratch volume.  Since these two volumes are
mounted in the same library the amount of data that needs to be sent over
the WAN is now minimal (I'm not sure about this)  In this case the data
would be moved much quicker freeing up my scratch volumes.  Also
communication over the WAN is now minimized because no files are being sent
only ADSM DB communication is going on.  I know I would need at least 2
mount points available to the storage pool.  Can anybody enlighten me on
this.

Thanks for any help as always,

Jack