ADSM-L

Re: Large Restore

2000-07-26 10:18:34
Subject: Re: Large Restore
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:18:34 -0500
We did that with 3.1 & still do it with TSM 3.7
2+ TB of client db file space
compresses down to 560-ish GB transmitted data
currently runs in about 22 hours
Large E10000 client with more CPU's than I'd care to count (runs at about
90+% during backups)
S70 TSM server with a couple CPU's (runs at about 35+% during backups)
fddi loop between the two (that is no router hops)
Slowest part of a restore is unpacking the data and writing it to disk on
the SUN box.
Oh, this is if the data is buffered on a diskpool on the TSM server (where
multiple concurrent sessions can get to it)
if all sessions are waiting on access to a single tape (or limited number of
tapes) nothing will happen faster than you can get the data off the tape
(3590-B1A's going straight out over the network I'd say less than 20GB/hr
compressed client data, maybe more like 10-15GB/hr but that compressed data
should be about 30-45GB/hr client file space...)

hope this helps
later,
Dwight