ADSM-L

Re: How to Restore crashed Nt /AIX server.?

2000-07-25 05:04:22
Subject: Re: How to Restore crashed Nt /AIX server.?
From: Vincent CADET <Vincent.Cadet AT IRISLINK DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:04:22 +0200
I've gone through a bare-metal-restore of an NT server.
I've had to restore it from a separate partition, without
the need of a repair disk (that's the goal).

You may follow the instructions in that red book:
"SG24-2231-00 Windows NT Backup and Recovery with ADSM"

Everything is clear and that's the one I used to restore
the system. Note that TSM client GUI (if you happen to
use it) cannot restore all NT system objects (registry,
eent log, Active Directory, COM+, aso) at one time although
it gives no error. You'll have to select on object type at
a time.

Also note it is safer to make a copy of the C:\BOOT.INI
AFTER you have installed an NT system on the repair
partition. In cases the boot disk is the same for both the
restored and the repair systems, this allows you to boot
the repair system from a diskette if the restored one
crashes. Create an NT boot diskette by formatting it under
NT and copying the NTDETECT, NTLDR and (optionnally) the
NTBOTTDD (.SYS) files on that diskette.

Take a look at www.redbooks.ibm.com for AIX.

Best regards,
Vince