ADSM-L

Re: Backup copy group

2000-07-24 10:14:50
Subject: Re: Backup copy group
From: Shekhar Dhotre <Shekhar.Dhotre.B AT BAYER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:14:50 -0400
Joyce, you're not anywhere different than everyone else at one time or
another...
If you wish you may set up a new domain... if it makes sense to group all
those differently across a domain.
I've set my domains by operating systems and/or major applications (so I
have stuff like UNIX domains but also have a SAP domain where unix boxes
running SAP go... I also have NT domains but I also have an EXCHANGE domain
which has NT Exchange servers)
You may get the results you desire by making a new (non-default) management
class and binding the required data to it within the "include/exclude" list
Ok, for a little assistance on the poop...
versions data exists is how many backup versions you wish to keep for up to
"retain extra versions" number of days...
so where you've set versions data exists to 9999 once a "inactive" version
becomes 30 days old ("retain extra versions" days old) it will still be
purged from ADSM/TSM !  so if the data changes daily you'll have 30 copies,
if it changes every other day you'll have 15 copies, etc...
YIKES !   yep, that's the way it works... well, the last time I sat and
pushed backups to a test box, reset dates, pushed more data, reset dates,
and did this a heck of a lot to simulate many days going by.

so hope this helps...
if you need more info wirute me on

 shekhar.dhotre.b AT bayer DOT com

SHEKHAR  DHOTRE
IBM CERTIFIED AIX  ADMINISTRATOR
IBM CERTIFIED RS/6000 SP SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR.
MICROSOFT CERTIFIED SYSTEMS ENGG.
SUSE LINUX  CERTIFIED .