ADSM-L

Re: Migrating from AIX ADSM to HPUX TSM

2000-07-17 09:07:19
Subject: Re: Migrating from AIX ADSM to HPUX TSM
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:07:19 -0500
Ok, on this part what you would want is...(why you would want to move off an
RS/6000???)
but if you must...

On the AIX box define the remote server (HPUX box)
                   Server Name: HPUXBOX
                  Comm. Method: TCPIP
            High-level Address: hp.x.x.x
             Low-level Address: 1500
                     Node Name: AIXBOX

On the AIX box set up the device class of type server and server name of the
HPUX box
             Device Class Name: HPUXBOXDEVC
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 0
                   Device Type: Server
                   Server Name: HPUXBOX

On the HPUX define the AIX box as a client type server on the HPUX
                     Node Name: AIXBOX
                     Node Type: Server

*** At this point AIXBOX may perform output directed
*** to a device class of HPUXBOXDEVC.
*** In order to access AIXBOX's virtual volumes on
*** HPUXBOX (from HPUXBOX) we must define it as a
*** remote server to itself and set the client name
*** in the definition to that of the remote server
*** whose data we wish to access (ie AIXBOX

On HPUXBOX define a remote server (which is actually itself and
remember to set the node name to that whose data you wish
to access)
adsm> q server HPUXBOX f=d
                   Server Name: HPUXBOX
                  Comm. Method: TCPIP
            High-level Address: hp.x.x.x
             Low-level Address: 1500
                     Node Name: AIXBOX

On the HPUX box define a device class for server to server
adsm> q devc HPUXBOXDEVC f=d
             Device Class Name: HPUXBOXDEVC
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 0
                   Device Type: SERVER
                        Format:
         Est/Max Capacity (MB): 500.0
                   Mount Limit: 2
              Mount Wait (min):
         Mount Retention (min): 2
                  Label Prefix: ADSM
                       Library:
                     Directory:
                   Server Name: HPUXBOX

so if on the aix box you did an "export node NODEONE .......
devc=HPUXBOXDEVC"
you would get some virtual volume serial numbers...
now on the hpux server you could do
        "import node NODEONE ........ devc=HPUXBOXDEVC
vol=virtualvolumeserialnumber"
and the box would be able to connect to itself and read the virtual
volume...

that's the "loop back" part...  works real smooth...
if you have these two boxes right next to each other I'd put in some fddi or
fast ethernet interfaces and just link between the two and use that
(temporary defined network) for the path to do the server-to-server
communication over
and it won't be fast no matter what but it does work... I used it to go from
MVS adsm to AIX adsm

Dwight