ADSM-L

Slow Restore: 10 G in 16 hours

2000-07-17 00:33:22
Subject: Slow Restore: 10 G in 16 hours
From: Raymond Chao <Raymond.Chao AT IPAUSTRALIA.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:33:22 +1000
To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:

Dear all,

    We had a restore from *sm (ADSM 3.1.2.55 running on AIX 4.3.2). It took 16
hours for 10 Gig.

It was a SAP(financial db)  restore, it took 1 hour for 4 G for the db, then the
rest for the other files. We saw message like
 "mounting offline tape " and then restore files.

We had collocation turned on in Feb 2000 which we thought would help restore.
I believe all of our nodes have been collocated.
We have 18 primary storage  dltpool tapes storing  580 gig for this SAP node.
Can anyone explain why the restore is so SLOW. Is  it  *sm or network ?

I think  *sm smart should be enough to minimise tapes mounting when files are
scattered across
a numbe(in this case 18) of tapes. Does restore have higher  priority than other
processes?

Any suggestions are gladly accepted .....

Raymond Chao
ADSM Administration, Unix Group
 IPAustralia, Canberra, Austarlia