ADSM-L

Re: Backup of DB to the same tape pool as backup client data?

2015-10-04 17:29:33
Subject: Re: Backup of DB to the same tape pool as backup client data?
From: cookde [mailto:cookde AT BP DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L
Step back and look at the big picture here...
Your DB BACKUP... when will you need it ?  when you have NO adsm info...
(rebuilding your environment)
if you mixed it in with misc data from clients... how would you know where
it is on the tape if you don't have the data base to tell you? ? ?
It needs to be the first file on the tape and the only file...

Now if you put it to disk and backed it up with client software and your DB
is dead, how can that client connect to get the disk file back to restore
your db ?

Now if you have multiple adsm servers this is (may be) a valid approach and
with server to server communication you may even backup your data base to a
virtual volume on a remote adsm server (which will mix your db backup in
with other data on tapes) but still only the dbbackup is on a/the single
virtual volume on the remote server and that remote server would be up and
running if you were performing a restore on the server from which the
dbbackup comes.

hope this helps...
later,
       Dwight