ADSM-L

Bare Metal restores for Sun Solaris

2000-07-12 12:50:54
Subject: Bare Metal restores for Sun Solaris
From: JerryLawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:50:54 -0400
Date:           July 12, 2000                   Time: 12:46 PM
From:   Jerry Lawson
                The Hartford Insurance Group
860     547-2960                jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Hi -
Hi -

I was looking through the Redbooks to answer this question, but I can't find
anything specific, and the book that handles Bare Metal restores does not
include Solaris in its scenarios...

We need to document a bare metal recovery process for Sun Solaris - 2.7 if it
matters, but I'd prefer the procedure to be independent if at all possible.  As
a basic procedure, it would seem to me that the basic process would be:

1.      Restore the OS from the installation CD Rom
2.      Reinstall ADSM
3.      Restore the rest of the machine.

I assume that there are people out there who have done this already, so if you
can share any experiences, I would be grateful.  I also have a few related
questions....

1.      Do you need to exclude any particular files, either during backup or
recovery?
2.      If the above procedure is correct, what do you do for any maintenance
or upgrades of the OS?
3.      On an RS6K, there is a MAKESYSB command to create a backup tape for
this sort of situation.  Is there an analogous command for Solaris?

Thanks in advance.
                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

PS. - Is there a good reference book for Solaris Bare Metal restores?