ADSM-L

Re: Oracle backups

2000-07-10 13:59:54
Subject: Re: Oracle backups
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:59:54 -0400
Eric,

The connect agents use the tsm api.  The api calls are supported.
What the agent does, as a result of an RMAN command to
delete some backups, is issue a call to make an active version inactive.
This is probably the same call made during a normal incremental backup
when the client recognizes a file deletion on the client system.

Since you have verdeleted and retonly set to 0, the next exipre inventory
will remove these oracle backups and maybe make a volume(s) available for
reclaim.

Here is a possibility for you to clean up the files that should be deleted but
weren't.  One of the parameters on the client used by the connect agent is
a filespace name.  If you change it and start using a new filespace, you will
eventually be able to delete the old filespace thereby cleaning up the excess
backup files.

Here is a 'q fi' from my only use of the oracle connect agent, I have 2
filespaces,
1 is current and the other hasn't been used in a while:

adsm> q fi tic_oracle f=d

                       Node Name: TIC_ORACLE
                  Filespace Name: /adsmorc
                        Platform: Agnt for Orc Bkp
                  Filespace Type: API:ORACLE
                   Capacity (MB): 0.0
                        Pct Util: 0.0
     Last Backup Start Date/Time:
  Days Since Last Backup Started:
Last Backup Completion Date/Time: 01/30/2000 21:51:35
Days Since Last Backup Completed: 162

                       Node Name: TIC_ORACLE
                  Filespace Name: //oracle
                        Platform: Agnt for Orc Bkp
                  Filespace Type: API:ORACLE
                   Capacity (MB): 0.0
                        Pct Util: 0.0
     Last Backup Start Date/Time:
  Days Since Last Backup Started:
Last Backup Completion Date/Time: 07/10/2000 13:26:13
Days Since Last Backup Completed: <1

In <59C645F3B051D311A4680000832FE2D402CB724E AT x0f0000.ex.klm DOT nl>, on

--