ADSM-L

Re: password

2000-07-07 10:08:12
Subject: Re: password
From: Richard Cowen <richard.cowen AT VTMEDNET DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:08:12 -0400
I'm running ADSM 3.1.2.55 on AIX 4.3.3. Last night I noticed a complete
schedule fail so I checked the services on those nodes to see if someone had
turned off the service. They had not so I went to the server log and found
they had all failed with the following error:
ANR0484W Session 3181 for node CP-ITS-WEB08 (WinNT) terminated - protocol
violation detected.

Now I know this is a password problem so I've already updated each node with
the correct password. I see this from time to time on other nodes too but
now I've decided this is strange. Here are my questions:

Where is the setting that ADSM changes the password on a certain number of
days and how can I set it to never expire?

from the 3.1.2.50 README.txt:

SET PASSEXP command now supports two new keyword options, NODE=nodelist
and ADMIN=adminlist.

---- SET PASSExp  expiration  ------------------------------------------
                                |               |  |                 |
                                |               |  |                 |
                                +-Node=nodelist-+  +-Admin=adminlist-+

If either Node= or Admin= is specified, expiration applies only to the
specified node(s) and/or admin id(s).  Otherwise, the global expiration
period is updated.  NOTE: changing the global password expiration period
will change the period for all nodes and admin ids that have not been
assigned specific expiration periods.   Nodelist and adminlist are comma
separated lists of valid node names or administrator ids.

The valid range of values for expiration has been changed from 1-9999 to
0-9999 whenever NODE= or ADMIN= is specified.  A value of zero means
that passwords never expire for the specified node(s) and
administrator(s).   An expiration period of zero remains invalid if
NODE= and ADMIN= are not specified.

REGISTER NODE and UPDATE NODE both support a new keyword option,
PASSEXP=expiration.   Using this option will cause the specified node(s)
to use the the specified expiration period.  If the option is not
specified, the node's password expiration period will use the global
expiration period (REGISTER), or will remain unchanged (UPDATE).  The
valid range of values for expiration is 0-9999.  A value of zero for
expiration means that the node's password will never expire.
--
Richard
Richard