ADSM-L

Re: 3590E and STK Powderhorn?

2015-10-04 17:29:33
Subject: Re: 3590E and STK Powderhorn?
From: Werner Baur [mailto:Werner.Baur AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I appreciate the answers I got so far. Seems that I am not completely alone
with my configuration. Somebody told me there are more than 4,000 Magstar
drives in STK silos.

In summary, in several answers reservations were made regarding the
heterogenous support. I perfectly share these doubts from an administrators
point of view. Until now we have a homogeneous configuration with 9840
drives
in a STK 9310 and 3590E drives in 2 IBM 3494 and are quite happy with it. We
have a second 9310 which is now empty (formerly populated by redwoods) and
there is one big issue that is traditionally not unregarded by the
management:
Money.
Considering the costs for the drives and - much more important - the costs
for
the cartridges (per GB) 3590E technology is at present for us much cheaper
than
9840.
So I have to have a closer look at this idea.

One last question: for August fibre channel support for 3590E is announced.
Does anybody plan to switch to fibre channel attachement? Does anybody know
if
fibre channel attached 3590E drives in a STK 9310 are supported by TSM 4.1?

Werner

--
Werner Baur                    Tel.:++49-89-28928781
Werner Baur                    Tel.:++49-89-28928781