ADSM-L

Re: Change Platform from OS390 to AIX??

2000-07-03 10:34:19
Subject: Re: Change Platform from OS390 to AIX??
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:34:19 -0400
> Is the Export/Import the only way to change platforms??
> We have a Customer who would like to switch the platform, OS390 to AIX.
> Currently they are backing up 500GB a day and growing.

The other approach I have heard of is to start doing backups to the new server
and keep the old server around until the longest retention period for backups
of deleted files, older backups of changed files, or archives has expired.
This eliminates the need for the imports and exports, but has some significant
disadvantages. It forces a full backup of each client just after the client
switches over to the new server. During the transition period, some restores
will have to use the old server while others will have to use the new server.
If some backups have long retention periods, this approach could require
keeping both servers for a long time. This is more likely to be an issue with
archives than with backups.