ADSM-L

Re: Del Volhist ???

2000-05-19 11:58:35
Subject: Re: Del Volhist ???
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 16:58:35 +0100
Wanda
Yes it is os390 and dfrmm tape management system.
John

"Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU> on 19/05/2000 15:44:48

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:    (bcc: John Naylor/HAV/SSE)

Hi John,

Alessio said he is running ADSM on AIX, which is the same setup I have here,
and there is no "tape management system" involved.  ADSM (or TSM,
whatever..) on AIX manages its own tapes. .

I assume you are speaking from OS/390 and a tape management system such as
CA-1?  I know that when you do a DELVOL, ADSM calls CA-1  to return the
tapes to scratch from CA-1's point of view, but if it does what when you
execute a DELETE VOLHISTORY, I'm unaware of it (and how could it, since in 2
years of VOLHISTORY, the same tape may have MANY STGNEW/STGDELETE entries?).
I don't have an OS/390 ADSM here I can test on to verify, maybe someone else
can chip in with their experience??