ADSM-L

Incremental of new NT client from old OS/2 client

2015-10-04 17:31:36
Subject: Incremental of new NT client from old OS/2 client
From: Jeff White [mailto:jeff.white AT cis.co DOT uk]
To: craig.murphy AT nz.unisys DOT com
Hi,

I have read with interest your note on the ADSM.ORG pages.

We have been upgrading from OS/2 (ADSM v2 clients) to NT (ADSM v3
clients) for some time now. Incidentally, we run ADSM server 3.1.2.20 =
on
OS/390 - so our environments are similar.

It does a full backup on its first run on NT because the label name
changes. Node names are now different - under version 2 ADSM took the
label of the disk as the filespace prefix name. Under V3, the computer
name is the prefix.
i.e.
filespaces were  'label-id/C$',
filespaces become 'hostname\C$'.

Because the filespace name is new, a full backup is taken.

Have you considered that at some future date you may need to restore a
version of a file that was backed up under OS/2? Be careful - we had
users who needed to do this. Prior to going to V3, we had to tell the =
V2
client that the V3 hostname would be authorised to restore data at a
future date. Only recently, we had a user wanting to restore OS/2 data
only 2 days after upgrading to V3 on NT.

The user may need to restore a file from when they were a V2 client -
but we have different filespace names. This should be done before we go
to a V3 client.

From V2, this is what we do -
=B7 Start Backup/Archive client
=B7 From the menu bar select UTILITIES
=B7 Click on USER ACCESS LIST
=B7 From Authorisation List panel:
  Node:  <v3-nodename>
  Drive: C (for example)
  Filespace: N12345\C$
  Dir:  *
  Files:  *
=B7 Click on the BACKUP option
=B7 Click on the ADD option
=B7 Click on OK to perform the ADD
=B7 Repeat for every drive (i.e. C, D, E  etc)

The V3 nodename can now restore files that were backed up using the V2
client. The above is documented in the ADSM V3R1 OS/2 Backup Archive
Client manual, Section 3.5.5, Authorising Anoth User To =
Restore/Retrieve
Your Files. This may be of some use to you.

Only other thing is that when we start the V3 backups, a new FILESPACE
appears in the database. I am puzzled as to why you do not see the new
one.

I hope this is of some help

Regards

Jeff White
Systems Programmer
CIS (Insurance)
Manchester

************************************************************************=
*

This e-mail may contain confidential information or be privileged. It =
is
intended to be read and used only by the named recipient(s). If you are =
not
the intended recipient(s) please notify us immediately so that we can =
make
arrangements for its return: you should not disclose the contents of =
this
e-mail to any other person, or take any copies. Unless stated otherwise =
by
an authorised individual, nothing contained in this e-mail is intended =
create binding legal obligations between us and opinions expressed are =
those
of the individual author.

The CIS marketing group, which is regulated for Investment Business by =
the
Personal Investment Authority, includes:
Co-operative Insurance Society Limited Registered in England number =
3615R -
for life assurance and pensions
CIS Unit Managers Limited Registered in England and Wales number =
2369965
(also regulated by IMRO) - for unit trusts and PEPs
CIS Policyholder Services Limited Registered in England and Wales =
number
3390839 - for ISAs and investment products bearing the CIS name
Registered offices: Miller Street, Manchester M60 0AL   Telephone
0161-832-8686   Internet  http://www.cis.co.uk   E-mail cis AT cis.co DOT uk

CIS Deposit and Instant Access Savings Accounts are held with The
Co-operative Bank p.l.c., registered in England and Wales number =
990937,
P.O. Box 101, 1 Balloon Street, Manchester M60 4EP, and administered by =
CIS
Policyholder Services Limited as agent of the Bank.

CIS & the CIS logo (R) Co-operative Insurance Society Limited

****
****