ADSM-L

Network traffic

2000-04-26 16:56:37
Subject: Network traffic
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:56:37 -0700
I'm not an AIX person so I have a question. Below you can see the problem
with the network. We have ADSM 3.1.2.55 running on AIX 4.3.3.0. The server
has 3 nic's in it all on the same subnet. We've already planned to change
this soon but now that we've run into this problem I need a "quick fix". Any
help would be appreciated.

We have a network problem that involves ADSM. It seems as though because of
the way the ADSM server talks only out the .111 IP, and because the other 2
nic's are on the same subnet the network can't learn the Mac address of the
other 2 cards, because ADSM doesn't talk out those addresses, this causes so
much broadcast traffic the computer room is getting flooded.

I'm told if we can set up the ADSM server to ping out the .112 and .113
nic's every 5 minutes the network will learn about those Mac addresses and
this would solve the problem. Our other solution is to change the networks
on the other 2 cards, but that's a little down the road when we do some
hardware upgrades. Since the first option is the quickest, I need something
that will run every five minutes for about 10 seconds then stop, until we've
upgraded, otherwise I'll never get any sleep......

Thanks for the help.

Geoff Gill
NT Systems Support Engineer
Computer Systems Group