ADSM-L

TSM questions

2000-04-26 13:11:30
Subject: TSM questions
From: Maria-Paz Gimeno <MPGIMENO AT SANTANDERSUPERNET DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:11:30 +0200
I am installing TSM in a  customer that might be migrating from Legato
Networker.
They have asked the following question, that I am unable to answer. I will
appreciate every help you could give me.

1.- If TSM is performing the backup of a big file with option static, what will
happen to an application that would like to use the file after TSM is working
with it? and if the option is dynamic?
The file in question is an Oracle database. The backup is performed with the
application stopped and a full database backup. They normally have the window
to do this, but eventually the backup finished after the time that the Oracle
application automatically starts. The problem they have with Legato is that
when Oracle tries to open the database, if it is being processed by backup, it
fails to open correctly, can not write the timestamp, and the database is
corrupted.
They want to know what will happen with TSM.

2.- They are planning to install a high availability solution with HP-UX. The
question is: what happen if one of the processors fails in the middle of a TSM
operation? Does the second processor takes over without interruption, the
operation fails o what?
I have heard in the forum of Clustered NT but I haven't heard anything about
the Unix solution. Is it supported in TSM?
Is the implementation documented somewhere?

Thanks very much for any help
Maria Gimeno