ADSM-L

Re: TSM Performance on Mainframes

2000-04-25 09:09:02
Subject: Re: TSM Performance on Mainframes
From: Zoltan Forray <ZForray AT SATURN.VCU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:09:02 -0400
Another reason is there aren't a lot of definitive numbers. We needed to do
an AUDIT and IBM has a document that clearly states there is *NO* way to
determine/calculate how long this and other things will take. Most things
are YMMV.

We are running ADSM V3.1.2.50 on OS/390 2.5.

As you mentioned, "tuning" is relative. Every environment varies and most of
the tuning depends on your infrastructure.

Currently, we transfer roughly 40-50GB a day. There is going to be a
substantial increase, soon.

Our big issue, though not really performance, is the number of 3590 drive
available. That is one of our current bottlenecks. We are about to order 2
more drives.

Another is the DASD "landing zone". I currently have app. 52GB. Since this
obviously won't be enough, I am expanding it by app. 100%. Since we don't
have any more free DASD that what I am increasing it by, that will be my
next bottleneck.

My network guy says we don't get anywhere near stressing the network. We
have combinations of FDDI, ATM, ESCON, Ethernet, OSA, etc, connecting the
various machines involved in transfering data to the OS/390 system for ADSM
backups. So, that isn't one of my issues to look at.

As I said, YMMV. It can be a constantly moving target.