ADSM-L

Oracle Database Restore

2000-04-11 16:12:22
Subject: Oracle Database Restore
From: "Slaughter, Bill" <BillSlaughter AT TUPPERWARE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:12:22 -0400
I have an Oracle Database that has 39 different 4GB mount points.

The backup goes into about 44GB of a disk storage pool in about 5 hours and
is copied to offsite tapes in addition to being migrated late morning to
tape.

The onsite and offsite tape usage spans about 3 different primary/copy
storage pool volumes. I am not using collocation due to the number of tapes
that would be needed .

The restore takes over 24 hours, it seems that for each filesystem the tape
spins up to where the data file is on the tape to pick off the file it
needs. Other processes are waiting for the tape to be available and since
the data is on 3 tapes there is high contention for the tapes. I suspect
much repositioning is happening i.e. over 39 times.

I am trying to come up with a way to do a quicker restore from tape. This is
needed to speed up Disaster Recovery also.

It would be nice if I could submit my restore requests and let ADSM figure
out in the background which ones to process based up the tapes he has
mounted. It would be even nicer if there were some ability to get the data
from specific volumes back in their disk storage pools and do the restore
from disk.

Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Bill Slaughter
Tupperware U.S., Inc.
14901 S. Orange Blossom Trail
Orlando, FL 32837
(407) 826-4580
(407) 826-8890 Fax
Text Pages 4079747099.5701585 AT pagenet DOT net